Saturday, May 2, 2009


Loading User Commands:
[X] Custom

---

"Leave me here and run," whispers Yukari.

For the past few days, he felt nothing but suspicion and fear of this girl. After all, she had already tried to force her will into his head once. And while she didn't harm him on their other "meetings", he certainly didn't welcome her in his mind. It felt unnatural and dangerous. One's mind is one's world, and only a fool would accept a stranger into it so freely.

When she offered her help, he hesitated. What would she want in return? Was this a honey-laden trap? Was she involved in everything that happened, in some sort of conspiracy? There were too many questions, and he couldn't trust her.

Even now, after she had saved his life, his heart feels cold. This isn't an issue of trust or friendship, but that of logic. He must select the course of action that has the most reasonable chance of success.

"Yukari," he says. "If you die here, what happens to the rest of you?"

The tiny girl coughs violently before looking up at him, her eyes turning glassy.

"This really isn't the time to ask questions," she says. "But you aren't going to move unless I answer, are you?"

"..."

"Like I said before," says Yukari. "This self is also myself, unlike a mirror-image or a familiar. That is why my awareness exists here. That is why I can use my powers. This isn't an extension, but a true part of myself."

"But doesn't that mean..."

"I've never died this way before," she says. "But I don't really mind losing a part of me. After all, this is to protect something important."

"What?" he says. "I don't understand. Why would you risk so much?"

"Gensokyo needs you," says Yukari. "And maybe I do, as well."

Grimnír hesitates. There is still a good chance that she is lying.

"Don't worry about me," she whispers. "We will see each other again, one way or another."

Slowly, another voice starts to drown out his calculated logic and rational thought. Something pulls tightly at his chest. A warm and powerful feeling, he can feel it pump through his veins. Grimnír stands up and takes a glance at the clear blue sky.

"I'm sorry... my friend..." he whispers.

Without another word, he takes off into the air.

No comments: