Thursday, January 29, 2009


Loading User Commands:
[X] Something feels off...

---

His eyes carefully survey a nearby map of the amusement park. He frowns as he considers the options. While there isn't anything especially unusual about this place, he feels that something odd is happening. The truth is at the tip of his tongue as he ponders the situation, but to no avail. It is probably nothing important. He has had a little too much excitement for the day, after all.

"Hey! Is something wrong?" asks Yukari suddenly. "Are you feeling alright?"

"Huh? No, I'm fine!" he replies. "It must just be my imagination."

"Tell me," Yukari says sternly. She looks unusually serious.

"Well.." he mutters. "I can't really describe it very well, but this place doesn't feel very real to me. It's like I know that I'm in a dream, but I don't."

Yukari doesn't reply. He laughs awkwardly and turns away. She must think that he is acting weird for no reason. Perhaps he should just drop the subject. In any case, he should consider getting his head checked and..

He gasps in surprise as Yukari puts her hand on his shoulder. She holds him firmly, then looks up straight at his face. Her expression is solemn, if not a little bit sad.

"Close your eyes," instructs Yukari. He does so obediently, idly wondering at the reason to her sudden change of mood. Without warning, he feels something sharp smack into the side of his head.

...

"G-goddamnit, Yukari!" he curses. "That hurt!"

He opens his eyes to find himself standing in the familiar darkness. No trace of the amusement park can be seen. However, he isn't alone.

"Welcome back, Wizard," says Yukari. "It is good to see you again."

Instantly, he realizes what has happened. After falling unconscious from that last spell, she must have entered his mind once again. Grimnír grits his teeth as he slowly understands.

"I wish I could say the same," he manages. "But this is becoming a very bad habit of yours, intruding into my mind like this."

"Forgive my intrusion," she says as she gives him a polite bow. "Though I certainly thought that you were expecting me, since you accepted my invitation."

"Walking inside my already messed up head right after I fall unconscious from physical and mental exhaustion isn't exactly what I had in mind, Ms. Yukari." replies Grimnír, hiding no trace of harshness in his voice.

Her eyes widen visibly, and her mouth falls agape as she gasps in surprise. The parasol she is holding wobbles dangerously as she takes in his words in full. She opens her mouth, as if to argue, but closes it after a few moments without saying a word. Slowly, she lowers her eyes.

"I-I didn't know," says Yukari. "I'm sorry."

Grimnír mumbles something in reply as he looks away to think. This is beginning to turn into something complicated. He has to stay focused.

"I'll be going now," whispers Yukari, barely audible. Slowly, she turns around to leave.

"Wait."

[ ] Custom

No comments: