Wednesday, November 26, 2008


Loading User Commands:
[X] Alice

---

"An anchor is something you use to maintain focus as you channel your energies," Alice says. "Magicians often use these as reference points when testing new magic. As you know, learning and developing new spells is often a slow and dangerous process. Magic-users rely on their anchor to dispel fear and use their abilities to their full extent."

"I think I'm starting to understand," Grimnír says. "But what things can I use as an anchor?"

Alice pauses to think.

"You need something that you can look back to and believe in, no matter how hopeless a situation can be. It needs to be a beacon of hope and faith in this world and in yourself. Most magicians use a fond childhood memory, or someone important to them."

He sighs heavily.

"But I can't remember anything from my past," he says. "The only clear memories I have start from when I arrived in Gensokyo."

Alice smiles at him.

"It doesn't have to be anyone in the past. Like I said, as long as you can believe in something hard enough, you can use it as an anchor."

...

"Are you ready?" she asks.

They are a few hundred feet above the clearing. Alice is gently holding his hand to keep him afloat.

"Someone I believe in," he mutters.

She waits patiently as he makes a decision.

"Alright, I'm ready," he says firmly.

She smiles at him once more for encouragement before letting him go.

Grimnír closes his eyes to focus. He feels the ripples of the air like before. He calms himself as he tries to understand and communicate with the element.

"I can't believe in myself," he whispers.

Slowly, he starts synchronizing with the air. He feels it flow around and into his body.

"I'm just another nameless person in this magical world."

He visualizes Alice's smiling face. Her kind smile was breathtaking. He would do anything to see that smile again.

"But I can believe in you."

In a moment that feels like forever, he feels like he enters a new world. He can sense them - the threads that bind the air together. It flows together like a river full of life and promise. He reaches out to them with only the thought of that wonderful girl's smile.

"..."

He calmly opens his eyes to see that he is hovering above the air on his own accord. He feels the air itself flow playfully around him, as if welcoming a new friend. He turns his head to look for Alice. His eyes widen in surprise as he feels something clasp on his head.

"Mmmph!" he manages.

"Y-you actually did it!" a familiar voice says. "You're flying!"

Grimnír gives Alice a thumbs-up as he gently pulls an overexcited Shanghai from his face. He ruffles the cute little doll's hair before turning back to Alice.

"I could never have done it without you, Alice."

Alice blushes red.

[ ] "Thanks for being here for me."
[ ] "Would you like to fly with me for a bit?"
[ ] "Why don't we have a short break?"
[ ] "Let's continue with the next lesson."
[ ] Custom

No comments: