Monday, November 24, 2008



Loading User Commands:
[X] Talk about your magic lessons.

---

Grimnr eats quietly as he thinks about something a good topic. Without Marisa to break the ice, the atmosphere has become awkward. Alice doesn't look like she is going to talk about anything soon. Shanghai floats lazily beside her, occasionally fluttering closer to the table to examine the food.

"..."

After a few minutes, he decides to talk about his magic lessons. After all, that is something that she was enthusiastic about yesterday. But before he can open his mouth, Alice bangs her fist hard on the table. Shanghai flutters away from her in surprise.

"D-damn that stupid girl," she says. "Always doing whatever she wants without a care."

"W-what?" he manages. She looks absolutely furious.

"Marisa's always like this!" she continues. "Just when you think she's starting to fit in and get comfortable in a place, she just leaves without warning. If I didn't step out earlier, I bet she would have left without even saying goodbye!"

"Maybe it's wanderlust?" he mutters.

"..."

Alice glances at him expressionlessly. She takes a few bites of food in silence. Then, she drops her fork by accident. She looks down at it for a few moments. Without warning, tears start rolling down her cheeks.

"I-I worry about her," she whispers. "But she doesn't even give a damn about me."

"..."

Grimnr feels the sudden urge to walk over and embrace her, but logic dictates that it would be a very inappropriate and stupid thing to do.

"She does care about you," he says finally.

"W-what?" she says looking up. Her cheeks are flush, and her eyes are glistening with tears.

"I said she does care about you," he continues. "I'm sure of it."

"..."

"I'm not good with words, but I'm sure that you're more than just a friend to her."

Alice pulls out a lace hankerchief from her dress and starts drying her eyes. They continue eating as if nothing happened. They don't bring up Marisa again. After a few minutes, Grimnr decides to break the silence.

"So about my magic lessons," he says. "I hope I won't be a burden to you."

Alice smiles at him.

"You are quite a prodigy, and I would love to guide you as you learn."

He blushes shyly.

"I-I don't think I'm that good. Everything I accomplished so far just ended with me falling unconscious."

"Don't worry too much about it. You were able to accomplish in two days what some master magicians learn over several years. It won't be an exaggeration to say that you are unusually gifted."

Alice pauses.

"Speaking of magic, what do you want to try next?"

They probably have time to work on two types of magic.
[ ] Master flight magic (air element)
[ ] Train defensive magic (earth element)
[ ] Train offensive magic (fire element)
[ ] Train utility magic (water element)
[ ] Train _____ magic.
[ ] Custom

No comments: